Friday, September 9, 2011

9/11 Anniversay? Meh.

I may be in a minority, but I don't feel anything special about the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

I've looked around my own mind and find nothing hidden in any corners or any kind of otherwise suppressed emotions. What I feel can basically be summed up by the commonly used response of "meh."

So, why am I so indifferent? In general, I think it comes down to how society's right-wing fringe elements latched on to the event, infecting it with their fascist attitudes and rhetoric. Trying to see the 9/11 attacks as some sort of universal evil becomes nearly impossible when they so vehemently fuel their hatred and bigotry with the event. It pushes people like myself to the outside of the attackers and those who oppose them in a way that makes them equally unattractive. It's like being asked to pick sides between two street gangs or mob families when you are an outsider to all of them. There is no good choice other than to shun them all.

If people want this event to become something other than an annual and perpetual hatefest, with ignorance and vile rhetoric perpetuating more human suffering and violence, then the prominent parties need to see how they force the rest of us to walk away from the entire thing. Until then, those who have the view of an outsider will see no reason not to remain there.

No comments: