Saturday, January 23, 2016

GMO Attention Misdirection

Story: The Debate About GMO Safety Is Over, Thanks To A New Trillion-Meal Study

 I've never had a problem with the safety of GMOs and I think that issue is distracting from the patent-based issues that are more important. It's complicated and I don't understand it all, but there is something really creepy about being able to patent life, something that is routine for GMOs.

I understand the need for a limited level of protections for patents and copyrights, but I am weary of laws continually being changed to keep GMO foods from becoming part of the public domain. As has happened with copyrights being extended to ridiculous lengths of time, patents will no doubt come under the same pressures and I suspect lawmakers will give in to the patent holders.

The world's food supply shouldn't be subject to the possibility of being held hostage by private companies who are run by design for the maximization of profit for a small number of people. It's more than a bit scary.

(A posting with some more details on legal issues here.)

No comments: